Monday, July 25, 2011

I've got a beautiful feeling...

Some things have changed around here!!


So, I suppose this entry is a fabulous representation of my current disregard for this blog. My last post was my horrible “I’m having a miscarriage” post, and this one is my “I’m 4 months pregnant and this is how it’s going” post.

Part of the apathy comes from a strong aversion to wanting to see my last post or think about it. That whole experience was really rough, and I don’t know how “over it” I would be right now if I hadn’t accidently gotten pregnant a few months later.

Accidentally? You say. Why yes. Though we had been trying for a baby for about 5 months leading up to the miscarriage, I had written off the whole idea for the next year. That’s right—a year! This decision was affected partially by the overwhelming hopelessness I’d sunken into and partially by the impulsive move to start seeing a trainer 3 times a week. I was gonna get in shape and be healthy for my pregnancy, whenever that would come a long. One month into training, it came along. Now, I’m obviously not a medical professional of any kind, but let me tell you, I have a feeling that beginning a disciplined work-out regimen can be an excellent fertility booster. I’ve seen it happen with friends, but never put the pieces all together until it happened to me. If you’re trying to conceive and you’re not involved in physical activity (and I’m talking beyond conception activities ;)) at least three times a week, I strongly recommend it. Even if you don’t get pregnant, you’ll be a lot happier and a lot healthier. It balances your hormones, and helps balance your priorities.

So now I have a trainer who is helping me strengthen my body for carrying my child, and I love it! I do have to take a nap between work and the gym every day, and I’m not super excited about going when it means I have to get out of bed to get there, but, I still enjoy having that activity. There’s a lot of hopes that one has for how they are going to live and and eat and be while they’re growing their baby, but once you’re tired and sick and all around icky feeling, your best intentions often get set aside for whatever works best for you in that moment. So even during the first trimester when my food choices were not always the best because nothing sounded good except top ramen or a taco bell burrito—I still had my time with my trainer where I could rest a little easier knowing that at least I’m doing something right.

I’m 16 weeks now, and the anxiety of the first trimester has lifted, and I am feeling great! I’m just about coming upon the point when I stop looking like I let myself go, and start looking pregnant—though it honestly depends on the day and the outfit I choose. In three weeks I get to find out if I’m having a boy or girl(yay!). In the interest in keeping this short enough to be worth reading I’ll end on that note.

Keep looking out for future pregnancy posts on the following subjects:

Boy or girl: why I don’t have a preference but it better be a girl
I’m not a teen mom, I’ve just developed the complexion of an 8th grader
Is that a laugh or a cry? And other futile questions from a daddy-to-be
Nesting: is it possible to make a nice space for my baby using crap I found around the house?



No comments:

Post a Comment